I recently had a lot of trouble getting my Raspberry Pi Zero W 2 to connect to WiFi on my Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Lite after a firmware upgrade to 5.43.46. It’s a 2.4Ghz-only device, and actually all of my 2.4Ghz-only devices wouldn’t connect.
Apparently something I did set a setting called PMF (Protected Management Frames) to “Required”, and the Pi Zero W 2 doesn’t support that. In theory, this setting should help prevent clients from getting disconnected through de-auth packets from an attacker. However, not all devices support this.
To fix the issue, you need to find the PMF setting under Settings -> Wifi -> <your network> -> Advanced -> Security and change it to “Optional”.
I was recently able to make a minimal example that reproduced a Celery memory leak. The memory leak would happen on the main Celery worker process that’s forked to make child processes, which makes the leak especially bad. Issue #4843 has been around for 3+ years and has 140+ comments, so this one has been causing a lot of problems for Celery users for a while.
The memory leak has been causing a lot of issues at my work too, and I was able to get some help resolving the issue during a work hackathon. My coworker Michael Lazar was able to find the root cause of the issue and make a pull request to fix it in py-amqp (a celery dependency when using RabbitMQ as a broker). The code with the issue was 10 years old!
The problem occurs when socket.shutdown fails on an OSError and doesn’t proceed to socket.close to clean up the socket and allow garbage collection to release the memory used for it. The OSError on shutdown can occur when the remote side of the connection closes the connection first.
The fixed example (with separate try/except blocks):
I recently learned about the arkenfox user.js project, which is an easy way to update Firefox’s settings to improve security and privacy.
It suggests you add your own overrides to the bottom of the file. I added these:
/* re-enable location bar using search ***/
/* override recipe: enable session restore ***/
user_pref("browser.startup.page", 3); // 0102
user_pref("browser.privatebrowsing.autostart", false); // 0110 required if you had it set as true
user_pref("places.history.enabled", true); // 0862 required if you had it set as false
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.privacy_level", 0); // 1003 optional [to restore cookies/formdata]
user_pref("network.cookie.lifetimePolicy", 0); // 2801 optional [so cookies persist]
user_pref("privacy.clearOnShutdown.history", false); // 2811
user_pref("privacy.cpd.history", false); // 2812 to match when you use Ctrl-Shift-Del
I recently compared two tags on github using the “compare” dropdown, and it displayed unexpectedly few changes between the tags. However, one of the tags was from a different branch and by default GitHub doesn’t show the other differences between the branches. To see other differences besides the tagged commit compared to the main/master branch, you need to change the “…” in the compare url to “..”.
Now, I’m thinking it’s probably a good idea to avoid making tags from non-master/main branches.